Ad Jesum per Mariam

Ad Jesum per Mariam
...if you genuinely wish to reach a high level of prayer in all honesty and without falling into the traps that the devil sets for those who pray, SAY your Rosary everyday... St. Louis-Marie Grignion de Montfort

Friday, November 15, 2013

GOSPEL MEDITATION TODAY! Persistence, Perseverance, Faith, Prayer (Luke 18:1-8)

Good News for the day of November 16, 2013 / The Parable of the Persistent Widow

The Proclamation of the Holy Gospel according to St. Luke :

And he spoke also a parable to them, that we ought always to pray, and not to faint, [2] Saying: There was a judge in a certain city, who feared not God, nor regarded man. [3] And there was a certain widow in that city, and she came to him, saying: Avenge me of my adversary. [4] And he would not for a long time. But afterwards he said within himself: Although I fear not God, nor regard man, [5] Yet because this widow is troublesome to me, I will avenge her, lest continually coming she weary me. And the Lord said: Hear what the unjust judge saith. [7] And will not God revenge his elect who cry to him day and night: and will he have patience in their regard? [8] I say to you, that he will quickly revenge them. But yet the Son of man, when he cometh, shall he find, think you, faith on earth?




The Gospel of St. Luke tells that Jesus Christ told the disciples a parable about the need for them to pray always without becoming weary. I remembered here the words of St. Teresa of Avila that I read in my YOUCAT book, "Do not pray for lighter burdens; pray for a stronger back."

We are told that there is a judge who neither feared God nor respected any human being. That just shows that this judge is detestable and should be condemned or better, to be punished severely or best, to be put to death. And there is also a persistent widow who wants this immoral judge to render a just decision for her against her opponent. It is very mysterious or peculiar for this widow knows who this judge is - an immoral person and maybe a dishonest judge. She still goes to him even there is a fact that this judge do not respect any human being! In this case, how much more in the case of the Lord! How much more and how much difference God will give to those persons who are persistent and persevere in their prayers to Him!  

The immoral judge, we can say, gave up. He was unwilling at first, but in his meditation of the matter he arrived at a decision in favor of the persistent widow. He was afraid that she will come and thought that she will become impatient, irritable, and flaming in wrath if he will not do as what is asked of him.

I recall what had happened to me just this October 31 of this year. I was attacked by Influenza virus that shut downed my whole system for days. I went to the Holy Mass that evening and received the Holy Communion. The sickness of mine became grave when I attended the Mass. That is the beginning of my suffering. I used my long umbrella as a cane when I walked back home. I cannot speed my walking. My body and my whole legs hurt as I walk. Funny thing here is I am like a turtle while walking - so many grannies and old people just seemed fast and left me at a great distance. Then started the hours when my body temperature hit 39 degrees celsius! And it played on 38 and higher. I prayed to God and Mama Mary while I also had my medicines.

Then Sunday came, November 3, when I arrived at one of the evening Masses in my parish. Out of desperation when I received the Body of the Lord, I prayed to God, "God! One last chance! I'm giving you one last chance! Heal me!" I prayed this in my mind. Then I returned home. Still desperately hoping that in a snap, I will be totally healed. Now, I really thank God and Mama Mary, I'm free now from my affliction! The sickness dissipated and is healed as the days have passed after that Sunday Mass. It also dawned on me whether I sinned against God because it may seem that my prayer is rude and I said it with confidence, strength, solidness, and roughness. By the way, I was thinking of a character in the movie Men in Black 3 who was the young agent K who said some of the words I prayed that Sunday. I was, at that moment, talking to God as I think of that guy in the movie while saying his line. Then I used it as a prayer, and there.

My Mommy also told me when I was a young boy that Jesus Christ wants to be bothered. She told me that God likes to be pestered or disturbed. "Gusto ng Diyos na kinukulit S'ya," she said. The words of Mommy is very similar to what St. Jean-Marie Baptiste Vianney said that I read on my YOUCAT book, "Our dear God loves to be bothered."

In the Gospel, the Lord Jesus told them to "pay attention what the dishonest judge says." Unlike the Honest Judge God who is fast in responding to His persevering and persistent chosen ones, Jesus Christ told them to be vigilant in listening what the dishonest judge says for what he says may bring fast destruction and injustice to them.

"But when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?" These words of the Lord are very alarming, greatly to be feared against, and a prophetic one. Jesus Christ will be in search of the people of persistence and perseverance in clinging and crying to the Lord. God will be in search for those people whose confidence is on God alone (anawim or poor in spirit) when He comes again. He is giving prophesy that in His coming, will He still find faith and hope that solidly relies on Him. We are called to be persons of great faith and hope - relying solidly and completely to God alone. Will God find faith on earth when He comes again?

Here are some points to consider:

1. We must pray persistently and perseveringly all the days of our life and not becoming weary nor tired (even when experiencing spiritual desolation).

2. "Prayer is a man's strength and God's weakness." - Jaime Cardinal Sin (+)

3. We must be persons of unceasing prayer like Mama Mary (making everything of us as prayer that connects ourselves to God).

4. Be always vigilant and on guard especially against persons who will bring destruction and injustice to us.

5. We must be anawim or poor in spirit.

6. Let us make every breath of us as prayer.

7. We must be persons of great faith and of great hope.

"Jesus, I trust in You." "O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee."

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam!




Mary H. Distributist

No comments: