Ad Jesum per Mariam

Ad Jesum per Mariam
...if you genuinely wish to reach a high level of prayer in all honesty and without falling into the traps that the devil sets for those who pray, SAY your Rosary everyday... St. Louis-Marie Grignion de Montfort

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

How To Pray Vocally (inspired by a Jesuit priest)

I was and still stunned  about how Rev. Fr. Timoteo "Tim" Ofrasio S.J. enlightened me indirectly from his answers and explanations when he talked about the dispositions of the priests who celebrates the Holy Mass and how is the priest when he is praying the prayers said in the Mass.

Rev. Fr. Timoteo "Tim" Ofrasio S.J. lecturing on Sacraments of Holy Orders and Matrimony, 9th Annual Apologetics Seminar of Defensores Fidei Foundation, November 9, 2013.


Fr. Tim shared to us that one guy asked him why he do not look at the congregation while saying the prayers in the Mass to which Fr. Tim replied that I will remember forever, "To whom the prayer is addressed? Para kanino ba yung panalangin? Sa mga tao ba? O sa Diyos? For whom are the said prayers? To the people? Or to God?"

Now that sharing of Fr. Tim S.J. is very crystal clear to me and very moving and it really made sense for although it just pertains to how priests should do when saying the prayers which are for God alone, it also tells me to act how should I pray as an individual.

Fr. Tim Ofrasio lecturing on Sacrament of Holy Orders.
"To whom the prayer is addressed?" is a very striking question that came from an old Jesuit priest for it helps me to meditate on how should I pray especially when praying vocal prayers or prayers designed to be said.

There is an element, I really believe, that cannot be taken for granted and that is how we talk to God especially by prayers vocally expressed.

The questions I'm asking myself were these :

1. Am I focused on God alone while praying?

2. Am I aware that I am not just talking to an ordinary person but to God?

3. Do my disposition in praying is in harmony in what I think and what I say?

4. Am I on guard when praying that is, in control of my imagination that thinks of things not subject of my prayer that will more or less unconsciously take away my focus?

5. Do I properly address the prayers to whom it is rightfully addressed?
And the questions to be meditated upon could be extended.

We must really be on guard while praying for our imagination and focus can be a block to our connection to God and the heavens if we are not aware that we are praying and we are talking and listening to the Person we do not see but a lot more bigger than us.

So in other compact words, prayer is talking and listening to whom the prayer is addressed.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam!





Mary H. Distributist

No comments: